BaseballGeeks
User: Guest39229
Read Mode: Topics
  BGEEKS Stats ~ Sign-Up As New User ~ Message Areas ~ FAQ

BaseballGeeks.com Home : BaseballGeeks : General Discussion : Reading "Evaluating my Mock Auction Draft? " Thread

Message #288 of 317  *NEW*
To:  All
jcrowley  
Subject:  Evaluating my Mock Auction Draft?
Date:  3/7/09, 2:40pm (Last Edited: 3/7/09, 2:41pm)
Fellow Geeks,

I am a newbie to the whole "Auction style" draft (but I like to think that I'm a better than average player in snake drafts).

Lol.

Anyway, I sat through a MOCK Auction draft on ESPN this morning. Took only 2:15 to complete (I honestly thought it would take 4 hours!)

Anyone care to "evaluate" my draft?

Context:
- 10 man draft
- $260
- about 70% through, 3 Managers dropped out - so it might be hard to tell "value" for last several rounds

#----------player----------$
12 jimmy rollins $33
25 alfonso soriano $22
31 ichiro suzuki $24
36 jonathan papelbon $17
46 brian mccann $17
73 derek jeter $13
85 jacoby ellsbury $14
87 alexei ramirez $14
100 aaron hill $2
102 chris davis $11
103 geovany soto $13
105 torii hunter $13
110 mike aviles $7
112 joey votto $13
131 max scherzer $11
135 adrian beltre $9
148 justin upton $8
166 jason motte $1
170 nelson cruz $2
176 chien-ming wang $4
181 hiroki kuruda $3
186 jered weaver $1
196 manny parra $1
206 wandy rodriguez $1
214 brandon lyon $1

$5 left over...

I think I did mostly OK.

In my snake drafts, I tend to follow the LIMA/RIMA plan and I never "pay" for saves.

My own take:

* Speaking of never paying for Saves... I nominated Papelbon and bid on him with the sole intention of getting some sucker to buy him high. Of course, I ended up with him at $17. I *think* that's a bargain?!?

* I think I got tons of value with Aaron Hill and Mike Aviles as my "IF backups." I like what I paid for my 6 SP. Ugh, except the Max Scherzer thing; again - I nominated him and tried to bid him up. I regret that one. I also regret the last pickup in Brandon Lyon. I didn't realize he was competing for the job. Serves me right for not being fully prepared.

* my only flier here was jason motte. I probably should have spent that $1 + my extra $5 on a good SP. Sigh.

* finally, I went a little crazy with picks 100-112. I found myself with WAY more money than anyone else and I just bullied my way to some mid-tier position players. I think I am more proud of the power grab, than my actual picks.

Anyway...

Any comments? Am I catching on? Or do I have a lot to learn?

Anyone doing a live Auction in LA? I'll be the fish at the table, but as long as it's cheap - I'll do it! Lol.

jc

Reply to Msg #288
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

10885 reads

Message #291 of 317  *NEW*
To:  jcrowley
drrubb  
Subject:  Re: Evaluating my Mock Auction Draft?
Date:  3/7/09, 6:07pm
I've never done an auction draft so I can't speak from experience, but that looks like a pretty damn good team. I do agree with your analysis about another good starting pitcher though & not paying too much for saves. BTW, I really don't know much about auction drafts. I am in other fantasy baseball formats, but I've never done a money league.

Reply to Msg #291
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

9948 reads

Message #294 of 317  *NEW*
Rob Reed  
Date:  3/8/09, 3:57pm
graphic
Man, you like speed, her jc? You are really hurting in HR and RBI, but you should top 3 R and SB very easily... I would say that you need to free up some of the speed for power in trades.

If Chris Davis slumps, you're dead in the water... and he is not a guy I would rely on for most of my power just because limited MLB sample size means big question mark.

All in all, you got a TON of value at the end with pitching, so your LIMA plan kicked butt. When Wandy wins the Cy Young this year, your league mates will stand in awe.

Reply to Msg #294
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

12333 reads

Message #295 of 317  *NEW*
Rob Reed  
Date:  3/8/09, 3:58pm
graphic
And, oh yah, you can get some more pop easily by letting to of Soto or Mccann... very nice job there with the catching corp (assuming 2 C on the roster). You don't want to DH either of those guys.

Reply to Msg #295
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

12331 reads

Message #298 of 317  *NEW*
To:  Rob Reed
jcrowley  
Date:  3/8/09, 9:11pm
actually, this league was only 1 Catcher!

I grabbed Soto so I woudl have soem trade bait at Catcher position.

Hmm, You are correct, I was going for the SB and RUNS categories, but I did neglect grabbing some power - I actually got caught sleeping there. It got real rough trying to bid for teh top 10 hitters (Pujols, Wright, etc)

Thankfully, this was only a MOCK draft and thankfully the other guys took it seriously.

I've now done THREE mock auctions on ESPN in 2 days. I've tried changing my strategy around just a tiny bit for hitting, BUT each time I keep getting virtually the same pitchers towards teh end for a maximum of $3: Wandy, Cueto, Parra, Maine. I can live with that starting staff.

The hardest is to figure out which possible RP are the best value.

I'm still shocked at how much people are overpaying for AROD, Manny, Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Lincecum.

I just let people spend too much on SPs and I save my cash for hitting.

Thanks for the critique - I didn;t even know who Chris Davis was!!! I just liked his projected stats. Lol.

jc

Reply to Msg #298
Start New Topic
Back to Topics

12329 reads

RRBBS© Software, designed by Robert Reed.
Copyright, November, 2002. All Rights Reserved.

Site Meter